Can I view or buy property overseas?
If you’ve been following current affairs – particularly if you’re keeping an eye on how COVID-19 is affecting plans for travel abroad from the UK – you will probably have seen some worrying headlines recently.
Of course, since Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced the so-called “Road Map to Recovery” we’ve all known we’re not supposed to be planning any holiday trips overseas until May 17 at the earliest. Most package airlines have cancelled their flights until then anyway.
However, it’s still been possible for more intrepid travellers to squeeze in a sneaky week by taking less direct routes to their destinations, swapping flights here and there or perhaps dreaming up “urgent” reasons for travel which haven’t been entirely legitimate.
This week though the UK government announced it’s likely to introduce an extra deterrent. From Monday (March 29) it seems likely anyone ignoring the restrictions will face a £5,000 fine.
There are exceptions though and we’re delighted to confirm that, if you’re buying or viewing property, then travel remains possible.
In case you’re wondering, these are the circumstances under which travel is still permitted:
- Travel within the Common Travel Area.
- If it is necessary for work.
- If you’re studying outside the UK.
- For charitable work or to work as a volunteer.
- If you’re an elite sports person training or competing.
- To fulfil a legal obligation.
- To seek medical assistance or to attend medical appointments.
- For the purpose of moving house and viewing a house to buy or rent.
- To attend the birth of a child.
- Visiting a close friend or family member who is dying.
- To attend a funeral.
- For child care purposes.
- If you’re getting married outside the UK.
- Contact with siblings for children in care.
- If you don’t live in the UK permanently and you are travelling home.
Don’t forget, if you spot a property in our portfolio you would like to view, if you can let us know when you intend to travel and your chosen destination, we can help to arrange airport transfers and even accommodation in the area if you need it.
In the meantime, if you need more information on the things you need to do before travelling abroad, the official Government guidance can be found here.
How else can we help?
We’re not just about sales. If you’d like a heads-up on how to plan or even just a no-obligation chat about the pros and cons of investing in property or moving to Portugal or Turkey, why not give as a call or drop us a line?
We’re happy to help with the logistics, paperwork and advice before, during and after your move so feel free to get in touch. We’d love to help if we can.
Alternatively, if you’d like to know a bt more about how COVID-19 is affecting plans for travel abroad feel free to browse our blog for previous posts you may find useful. If you’d like to check out our portfolio, you can find details of properties currently on our books right here. You can also keep up to date with our Facebook page here.